Hurricane Season Is Almost Over – But You Should Still Be Prepared
Chances are you have heard about Hurricane Irma as it churned its way through the Caribbean and made landfall in Florida. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by Hurricane Irma. We here in North Carolina have dodged a bullet this time, but the storm is a strong reminder of what could happen. That is why this month’s blog is going to focus a bit more on hurricane preparedness.
We at Drew’s Home Repair and Roofing are skilled in helping remodel and redo after storms of all sorts, and hurricanes are no different. Preparing for a hurricane is more common sense than anything, but here are a few quick pointers for you.
You will need to be sure you have everything you need for the long haul. Power could be out for a substantial amount of time, so being ready for this is paramount. Here are a few quick suggestions, by no means complete, of what you should do.
- Fresh batteries and flashlights;
- Fully charged cell phones and backup chargers;
- Stock up on medications;
- Fill bathtubs and washing machine with water for flushing toilets;
- Have plenty of non-perishable food and safe water;
- Be sure to have some cash on hand;
- Fill cars with gas.
- Store any loose items around the yard as best you can;
- Put tape on windows to keep them from shattering;
- Fill freezer and refrigerator with water and ice – it will help keep food and frozen stuff cold;
- Prune back trees and shrubs if they overhang on the home;
- Have a plan to leave if necessary.
This is certainly not all inclusive or extensive, but it will give you a good idea of what you will need to do in preparation for any natural emergency. It is a strong hope you will never be affected by a hurricane or other natural storm. If you are, be sure that your friends at Drew’s Home Repair and Roofing will be standing by to help you with any and all your repair needs.