Your Supply NC Roofer
Drew’s Roofing and Home Repair Can Help With All Your Roof Repair Needs in Supply, NC
Before we get started, let’s learn a little bit about Supply, NC
Supply, NC is a small town between Wilmington, NC and Shallotte, NC. Many residents are happy about the newly added Bojangles, McDonald’s and Dairy Queen! While there may not be much to do around Supply, NC, many people enjoy visiting the town’s local animal shelter and spending some time with a few furry companions. Who knows, while you are there you may meet the purrrrrfect furry addition to your family.
Five Common Causes of Roof Problems
Many problems with roofs can be attributed to a number of different factors. Here are five common causes of roof problems. Understanding these causes can help you to avoid premature failure and problems.
1. General lack of maintenance. If roof problems are not found out in the early stages, they tend to only get worse over time. This can turn a minor problem into a major one.
So it’s important to regularly inspect your roof to uncover potential problems and fix them before they get worse.
2. Weathering. Virtually all roofing materials deteriorate over time from exposure to the weather (particularly sun damage, snow, hail, etc.). The inorganic materials like concrete or tiling hold up much longer than organic materials like asphalt shingles, or metal roofs.
However all types of roofing materials can get damaged by hail. In addition exposure to pollutants including salt will pit and deteriorate many roofing materials especially metal roofs.
3. Wind damage. Every roof may be subject to damage from winds and flying debris. Most roofs can withstand moderate winds but in general they are not designed to hold up to hurricane force gales.
But there are also certain kinds of roofs which can be damaged from moderate winds which can gust to 50 to 75 miles per hour.
The wind damage is typically caused by a partial vacuum which is created when the wind blows over the edge of the roof and eventually works the fasteners and adhesive holding the roofing materials in place.
To help to minimize this damage, it’s important to make sure that the roofing tiles or shingles are fastened securely to the roof decking.
4. Poor Design. In many cases premature failure of the roof is caused by poor design. These design problems are difficult and expensive to correct. Often it can require complete replacement of the roof. Several examples of poor design are:
a. A weak roof structure which allows for excessive deflection under a load. This can cause splitting of the roof membrane.
b. Insufficient roofing slope or insufficient number of drains which can result in pooled water.
c. Insufficient allowance for expansion and contraction of the decking materials which can result in membrane breakdown
d. Incompatible roofing materials. Differing expansion rates or poor adhesion between materials can cause problems.
5. Flashing failures. Flashing is designed to enable a watertight seal between roofing materials or along bordering sections to other parts of the roof. The flashings are very vulnerable and if they fail it can cause premature degradation and failure of the entire roof.
It is therefore vitally important to regularly inspect the flashing and correct any early identified problems. In many cases a roofing problems can be easily corrected by addressing any deficiencies in flashing.
Don’t let this small problem fester and turn into a much larger problem.
Call 910-845-2207 Your Supply, NC Roofer
Contact Your Local Supply NC Roofer Today